Assistant General Counsel
Opening Date: 04/05/23
Closing Date: Continuous
**This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are under consideration and need not reapply.**
The SC State Housing Finance and Development Authority (SC Housing) helps families across the state obtain affordable, safe housing. Our staff is passionate about creating solutions that truly make a difference in the lives of others! We are seeking a dynamic, enthusiastic attorney to serve as an Assistant General Counsel. Under limited supervision of General Counsel, this position:
- Provides legal advice for SC Housing to General Counsel, Program Directors, staff, and the Executive Director.
- Provides assistance with legal aspects of the issuance/sale of SC Housing's bonds.
- Assists in supervision of bond counsel and disclosure counsel in the preparation and review of documents required for the issuance and sale of SC Housing's notes and bonds.
- Assists with the program area that handles multifamily development.
- Drafts official actions & proposed legislation as needed.
- Formulates/drafts policies, procedures, and legal documents for program areas.
- Serves as legal liaison with other governmental entities. Interprets complex legislation, regulations, and documents for the federally funded program areas.
- Conducts legal research and approves staff program manuals.
- Serves as primary Freedom of Information Act contact.
- Serves on special task forces, committees, and other related duties as assigned.
- A Juris Doctor degree or its equivalent from an accredited law school and a minimum of three (3) years of full-time experience as a practicing attorney.
- Must be an active member and in good standing with the South Carolina Bar. Must have completed 403 requirements.
* Candidates must specifically meet the Agency Minimum Requirements or an equivalent combination of education and experience to be considered for this position.
A minimum of 4 years as a practicing attorney with real estate experience, affordable housing development or government agency experience is preferred. Working knowledge of federal housing programs and Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code. Knowledge of Real estate documentation.
The South Carolina State Housing Finance & Development Authority offers an exceptional benefits package that includes:
- Telecommuting Options
- Accrued Paid Time Off (15 days annual/vacation leave per year and 15 days sick leave per year)
- 13 paid holidays
- Health, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance for employee, spouse, and children
- PEBA Perks
- Free Telehealth Visits for State Health Plan members
- Free Health Programs for behavioral health, chronic conditions, healthier lifestyles, and maternity
- State Retirement Plan
- Deferred Compensation Programs
- 401k and 457 plans
- MoneyPlus (tax-favored accounts program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Adoption Assistance Program
- Employee Discount Programs
- Casual Fridays
- Tuition Reimbursement Program (after 6 months of employment)
- And much, much more!
SC State Housing Finance & Development Authority
300-C Outlet Pointe Blvd.
Columbia, South Carolina, 29210