Affordable Housing Compliance Manager
Scope and Purpose
The Compliance Manager is responsible for overseeing the Compliance Analysts and managing all aspects of compliance within the company’s portfolio. The Compliance Manager is responsible for the oversight of all LIHTC, Bond, and HUD Section 8 related matters, and other programs such as HOME, AHP, etc. and for ensuring compliance with all Regulatory Agreements and partnership operating agreements. The Compliance Manager is responsible for communicating and coordinating the compliance effort between the Compliance Analysts, the Compliance Manager for Section 42 Housing, the Asset Managers, and the property staff in order to ensure all the resident and property compliance information is correctly input into the company property management software, ResMan as well as the proper reporting is completed as required by regulators and investment partners for each property.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and train Compliance staff on all of their duties and ensure they keep up with latest changes and the specific requirements for each state.
- Coordinate and ensure accuracy of all monthly, quarterly, annual, and as-needed periodic reporting to HUD, all funding agencies and tax credit syndicators.
- Oversee the work to ensure all income qualification for all applicants and tenants on an ongoing basis (including conducting annual re-certifications as needed).
- With support of the Compliance Manger of for Section 42 Housing and the Occupancy Manager, be the go-to person for periodic questions/issues that arise in the course of business as relates to these matters.
- Support the Vice-President and President to ensure proper communication with the various oversight agencies and funding partners.
- Perform compliance file reviews to ensure Compliance Analysts and Property Manager are properly maintaining their files and that the proper procedures are being followed and documentation is saved in Resman.
- Manage time for you and your teams time to ensure properties are prepared for audits and/or inspections, ensure all deficiencies are corrected, and processes updated to ensure deficiencies are not repeated.
- Review all regulatory agreements for each property and conduct a review to ensure full compliance.
- Review and update the Compliance Manual and Site Procedures Manual and Resman system and update and implement systems as necessary to accomplish the goals of the position and the Company.
- Manage work hours and time off for the Compliance Analysts to ensure work is completed timely.
- Assists with implementation of new and updating existing Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plans for all sites.
- Ensure HAP payments are properly processed. EIV and User Authorizations and training certificates and security clearances are kept up to date.
- Must work with the Compliance Manager of Section 42 Housing to develop and implement plan for completing initial certifications for properties that transition to the LIHTC program.
- Must work with the Manager of Accounting to coordinate the monthly and annual close out of each property.
We seek highly motivated individuals who will proactively create a positive and efficient work environment. College degree preferred and 8+ years of work experience in related field or industry. Knowledge of Section 42 of the IRS code and HUD Section 8 Housing Regulations is required. Specific experience working with Low Income Housing Tax Credits 4% and 9%(LIHTC), Bonds, HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME), Section 8 ( Project-Based Section 8, and/or HUD 202 and HUD multifamily); and related laws and regulations. Must possess a working knowledge and experience with Low Income Housing Tax Credits, the HUD 4350 manual, the federal Fair Housing Act, affirmative fair housing marketing, and other relevant housing compliance laws. Excellent organization skills and written and verbal communication skills are required. Must be able to multi-task, have attention to detail, and be well organized. Must be a Team player.
Licenses/Certifications: Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) or (CPO) and/or Tax Credit Specialist (SCHM, TCS, HCCP) preferred
Essential Job Functions
Administrative Skills: General office duties, writing letters, answering phones, filing, preparing reports, interpreting policies and procedures, proficiency in office equipment.
Analytical Skills: Ability to create, compare, and analyze statistical data; ability to conduct research.
Communication/Language Skills: ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) with all levels of employees, outside agencies and manage large volumes of correspondence; ability to proofread documents; ability to interpret HUD manuals, regulatory agreements, and partnership agreements.
Computer Skills: Adobe Acrobat, Excel, Word, Outlook, Internet, PowerPoint, Resman (or similar property management software)
Coordinating Skills : Ability to prioritize and schedule multiple projects simultaneously; ability to effectively organize records/files.
Leadership Skills: Ability to act as a role model and team-builder.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to use basic mathematical and analytical skills, calculate lease balances, pro-rations, and averages.
Other Skills: Confidentiality, customer service, decision-making, patience, respect, teamwork, and flexibility.
The Compliance Manager must: i) possess vision to read printed materials, smart phone screens, computer screens and to make visual inspection of the building and grounds; ii) be able to handle, feel, and reach; iii) possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform as property manager and complete physical inspections, direct and supervise staff and interact positively with residents; iv) be able to frequently walk, sit, stand, climb, kneel, bend, and stoop; v) be able to work in settings with continuous interruptions and background noises; vi) be able to work under stress of meeting demanding deadlines, changing priorities and conditions, vii) have the ability to keep calm and remain professional with residents and staff in high pressure and emergency situations, viii) be able to work extended hours of time viewing a computer video monitor and/or operating a keyboard and be able to have daily exposure to video terminals; ix) maintain a courteous and professional attitude at all times; x) be available to occasionally travel to properties/locations for site visits, training or provide support; xi) be committed to excellence and personal integrity.
Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life ,401(k), PTO