Are you looking for a purpose-driven career, not just the same old 9 to 5? One that gives you a reason to come to work beyond just a paycheck? Well, look no further! The SC Housing Finance and Development Authority (SC Housing) is actively searching for a Compliance Underwriter/Reviewer for our Mortgage Production team!
In this role, you will play an integral role in fulfilling SC Housing's mission of providing safe and affordable housing for the citizens of South Carolina. You will review mortgage loan applications (files) for compliance with SC Housing's Mortgage Program requirements and investor guidelines. The position requires a comprehensive understanding of the mortgage lending process and the ability to make sound analytical and judgement decisions. Compliance Underwriter will interface with both internal and external customers in fulfilling this important process and service.
If selected for this position, you will provide technical and professional services for the various Homeownership Programs offered by SC Housing. You will review, analyze and examine loan files, ensuring sound credit quality, collateral value and compliance with SCSHFDA and investor guidelines and standards. You will be expected to respond timely, accurately and professionally to all inquiries from participating Lending Partners and make timely and accurate decisions on all mortgage loan and MCC tax credit transactions.
Duties and responsibilities associated with this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Underwriting/reviewing Mortgage Revenue Bond Loans and Mortgage Tax Credit files for compliance with program and investor guidelines. Preparing and issuing approvals and conditional commitments, performing prefunding assessments on closed loan flies and determining if the loan is in compliance with SC Housing program guidelines, investor and insurer requirements, and state and federal regulations.
- Responding to inquiries from Lending Partners, the general public, realtors and other interested parties regarding programs available through SC Housing's Homebuyer Programs.
- Staying abreast of industry guidelines and changes and monitoring available continuing education training to enhance skills and performance.
- Assisting with training for participating lending partners and staff.
- Serving on special project teams and committees as assigned.
- Assisting in loan processing during times of high volume or during other unforeseen events.
Agency Minimum Requirements *:
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or Management and professional experience in the areas of mortgage loan processing, underwriting, closing, post-closing, quality control, regulatory compliance, and/or mortgage lending experience.
*An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted to meet the agency minimum requirements. (i.e. 1 year of education = 1 year of related experience)
- Intermediate to advanced level knowledge of mortgage lending programs, guidelines, regulations, policies and standards.
- Ability to analyze and interpret guidelines, regulations, policies and standards and apply sound judgment and decision making.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to organize multiple tasks and establish priorities.
- Ability to work within strict deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with SC Housing's Lending Partners.
- Knowledge of personal computers, mortgage software systems and Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary for interpretation and explanation of federal, state and industry mortgage banking regulations and how they apply to mortgage lenders, realtors and the home buying public.
FHA Direct Endorsement (DE) designation/certification preferred.
The South Carolina State Housing Finance & Development Authority offers an exceptional benefits package that includes:
- Health, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance for employee, spouse, and children
- 15 days annual (vacation) leave per year
- 15 days sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- State Retirement Plan
- Deferred Compensation Programs o 401k and 457 plans
- Employee Assistance Program